Monday, February 17, 2014

Mass Readings and Reflection for Monday, February 17 2014; Monday of the Sixth Week in Ordinary Time

First Reading
James 1:1-11

James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ,
to the twelve tribes in the dispersion, greetings.

Consider it all joy, my brothers and sisters,
when you encounter various trials,
for you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance.
And let perseverance be perfect,
so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.
But if any of you lacks wisdom,
he should ask God who gives to all generously and ungrudgingly,
and he will be given it.
But he should ask in faith, not doubting,
for the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea
that is driven and tossed about by the wind.
For that person must not suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord,
since he is a man of two minds, unstable in all his ways.

The brother in lowly circumstances 
should take pride in high standing,
and the rich one in his lowliness, 
for he will pass away “like the flower of the field.”
For the sun comes up with its scorching heat and dries up the grass,
its flower droops, and the beauty of its appearance vanishes.
So will the rich person fade away in the midst of his pursuits.

Responsorial Psalm
Psalm 119:67, 68, 71, 72, 75, 76

R. (77a) Be kind to me, Lord, and I shall live.

Before I was afflicted I went astray,
but now I hold to your promise. 

R. Be kind to me, Lord, and I shall live.

You are good and bountiful;
teach me your statutes. 

R. Be kind to me, Lord, and I shall live.

It is good for me that I have been afflicted,
that I may learn your statutes. 

R. Be kind to me, Lord, and I shall live.

The law of your mouth is to me more precious
than thousands of gold and silver pieces. 

R. Be kind to me, Lord, and I shall live.

I know, O LORD, that your ordinances are just,
and in your faithfulness you have afflicted me. 

R. Be kind to me, Lord, and I shall live.

Let your kindness comfort me
according to your promise to your servants. 

R. Be kind to me, Lord, and I shall live.

Gospel
Mark 8:11-13

The Pharisees came forward and began to argue with Jesus,
seeking from him a sign from heaven to test him.
He sighed from the depth of his spirit and said,
“Why does this generation seek a sign?
Amen, I say to you, no sign will be given to this generation.”
Then he left them, got into the boat again,
and went off to the other shore.

REFLECTION

SOURCE: One Bread One Body

TITLE: DIVINE MERCY IN DIVINE FRUSTRATION

"With a sigh from the depths of His spirit He said, 'Why does this age seek a sign?' " –Mark 8:12

Jesus drove out demons, cured the leprous; healed the paralyzed, handicapped, hemorrhaging, and deaf; raised the dead, calmed a storm, walked on the water, and multiplied loaves and fish, among other miracles, signs, and wonders. Then "the Pharisees came forward and began to argue with Him. They were looking for some heavenly sign from Him as a test" (Mk 8:11). Jesus sighed from the depths of His spirit (Mk 8:12) and was understandably frustrated.

Likewise, the apostles did not grasp the meaning of Jesus' miracles, including the double multiplication of the loaves. Jesus expressed His frustration with a barrage of questions: "Do you still not see or comprehend? Are your minds completely blinded? Have you eyes but no sight? Ears but no hearing?" (Mk 8:17-18) "Do you still not understand?" (Mk 8:21)

Despite His frustration, Jesus worked another sign by healing a blind man at Bethsaida (Mk 8:22-25). Jesus met the unreasonable demands of the Pharisees and also continued to work with the apostles who He knew would eventually abandon Him.

Jesus is merciful. He doesn't give up on us, no matter how sinful or shameful our behavior. No matter if everyone else gives up on us, Jesus keeps loving us and trying to transform us (see Is 49:15). Jesus always forgives us and will in no way reject us (Jn 6:37). Jesus is so merciful that He died on the cross in our place. Lord Jesus, mercy.

PRAYER: "Lord Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me, a sinner" (the Jesus Prayer).

PROMISE: "Count it pure joy when you are involved in every sort of trial." –Jas 1:2

PRAISE: The Servites serve their Lady and their Lord by serving their brothers and sisters. Their seven founders lived lives of gospel poverty and shared Christian community.

...the word of the Lord...

No comments:

Post a Comment