Saturday, June 14, 2014

Saturday, June 14 2014; Saturday of the Tenth Week in Ordinary Time

Lectionary: 364

Reading 1
1 Kings 19:19-21

Elijah set out, and came upon Elisha, son of Shaphat,
as he was plowing with twelve yoke of oxen;
he was following the twelfth.
Elijah went over to him and threw his cloak over him.
Elisha left the oxen, ran after Elijah, and said,
“Please, let me kiss my father and mother goodbye,
and I will follow you.”
Elijah answered, “Go back! 
Have I done anything to you?”
Elisha left him and, taking the yoke of oxen, slaughtered them;
he used the plowing equipment for fuel to boil their flesh,
and gave it to his people to eat.
Then he left and followed Elijah as his attendant.

Responsorial Psalm
Psalm 16:1b-2a and 5, 7-8, 9-10

R. (see 5a) You are my inheritance, O Lord.

Keep me, O God, for in you I take refuge;
I say to the LORD, “My Lord are you.”
O LORD, my allotted portion and my cup,
you it is who hold fast my lot.

R. You are my inheritance, O Lord.

I bless the LORD who counsels me;
even in the night my heart exhorts me.
I set the LORD ever before me;
with him at my right hand I shall not be disturbed. 

R. You are my inheritance, O Lord.

Therefore my heart is glad and my soul rejoices,
my body, too, abides in confidence;
Because you will not abandon my soul to the nether world,
nor will you suffer your faithful one to undergo corruption.

R. You are my inheritance, O Lord.

Gospel
Matthew 5:33-37

Jesus said to his disciples:
You have heard that it was said to your ancestors,
Do not take a false oath,
but make good to the Lord all that you vow.
But I say to you, do not swear at all;
not by heaven, for it is God’s throne;
nor by the earth, for it is his footstool;
nor by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the great King.
Do not swear by your head,
for you cannot make a single hair white or black.
Let your ‘Yes’ mean ‘Yes,’ and your ‘No’ mean ‘No.’
Anything more is from the Evil One.”

REFLECTION
SOURCE: One Bread One Body
THEME: MOUTH GUARD

"Say, 'Yes' when you mean 'Yes' and 'No' when you mean 'No.' Anything beyond that is from the evil one." –Matthew 5:37

I work in a large office and can't help but overhear many conversations daily. I must hear the following phrases at least ten times every business day: "To be honest with you...", "Honestly...", "To be perfectly honest...". Each time I hear these phrases, I wonder if the speaker is implying that he or she is normally dishonest, but their current sentence is going to be an honest one.

Jesus isn't kidding. Anything we say beyond our true and simple meaning "is from the evil one" (Mt 5:37). If anything beyond our basic meaning of "Yes" or "No" is from the devil, it follows that we should hardly talk at all! (see Eccl 5:1) We don't want to give Satan the opportunity of speaking through us. Look at St. Peter. He spoke without listening carefully to what Jesus was saying and the devil spoke through Him (Mt 16:23).

If we really mean "Yes," we must say "Yes" unambiguously, and likewise if we mean "No." The author of James says if we speak "in this way [we] will not incur condemnation" (Jas 5:12). The implication is that if we don't really say what we mean, we might risk eternal condemnation. Jesus says: "I assure you, on judgment day people will be held accountable for every unguarded word they speak. By your words you will be acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned" (Mt 12:36-37).

PRAYER: "Lord, set a watch before my mouth, a guard at the door of my lips" (Ps 141:3). Teach me "what to say and how to speak" (Jn 12:49). May I be quick to hear and slow to speak (Jas 1:19).

PROMISE: "I bless the Lord Who counsels me; even in the night my heart exhorts me." –Ps 16:7

PRAISE: When George and Mary said "Yes" to God and each other they meant it, and were blessed with over fifty years of holy marriage.

Be an inspiration, kindly Share!

No comments:

Post a Comment